Can you tell these simple bakes are completely healthy? I mean completely! Dark chocolate chip, deliciously gooey cookies and indulgent chocolate cupcakes? You must think I'm joking right? But these simple bakes are both easy and nutritious. It was my amazing friend Charlotte's idea to make these and it was the perfect way of filling some time during yesterday's long, cold, wet 'summer's' day. So my advice for making these? Invite your friends round, bake, laugh, chat, drink tea and eat cake; guilt free!
Dark Chocolate Almond Cookies
- 1 egg
- 1 cup almond butter
-1/2 cup coconut sugar
-1 tsp baking powder
-1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
2. In a medium bowl beat the egg.
3. Add almond butter, coconut sugar, baking powder and cocoa powder and beat with a fork/ wooden spoon.
4. Fold in chocolate chips until combined.
5. Scoop tablespoon amounts of dough onto prepared baking sheets. The dough should make 8-12 cookies depending on how large you make them.
6. Bake in oven for 10 minutes. The cookies should be slightly under baked when removed from the oven but baked enough to hold their form. They will harden as they cool. Serve warm or leave to cool and sprinkle with icing sugar.
-150ml regular olive oil
-50g cocoa powder
-125ml boiling water
-2 tsp vanilla extract
-150g ground almonds (you can buy these from a health shop or simply place almonds in a blender to make a fine powder)
-1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- pinch of salt
-200g coconut sugar or caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- icing sugar to ice (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease two cupcake baking trays.
2. Whisk together the cocoa powder and boiling water in a bowl. Add vanilla extract. Set aside and leave to cool.
3. In another bowl whisk together the eggs, sugar and olive oil for three minutes until mixture forms a pale cream.
3. Add cooled chocolate mixture to egg and whisk together. Fold in almond flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
4. Divide mixture into cupcake baking trays and bake for around 20-25 minutes until browned and spongy.
5. Decorate as desired. You could use chocolate butter cream, flaked almonds or a simple sprinkle of icing sugar as the buns are lovely and moist. We used simple icing by adding water to icing sugar and decorated with sprinkles, mini fudge, pecans and desiccated coconut.