Ingredients (for 12)
- 3 large cooking apples
- 450ml water
-2 teaspoons cinnamon
- butter for greasing
-300g plain wholewheat flour
-1tbsp baking powder
-pinch of salt
-1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3tbsp light brown sugar (more if desired)
-85g fresh raspberries
1. thinly slice 2 peeled and cored cooking apples and place in saucepan with 6 tbsp of the water. Bring to boil then reduce heat. Add one tsp of cinnamon and cover pan to simmer for 15-20 minutes until all water has been absorbed. (add more water if apple starts to stick to bottom of the pan.)
2.Remove apple mixture from the pan and leave to cool. Blend the mixture in a food processor until smooth.Add remaining water and mix well. Set aside.
3. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease Muffin tray with butter (this is very important as buns will stick if this step is not completed properly, if using muffin cases make sure they are also greased.)
4. Sift flour, salt, baking powder, sugar, remaining cinnamon.
5. Slowly add cooled apple mixture and vanilla extract to dry ingredients and stir gently.
6. Chop remaining apple. Add the chopped apple and raspberries to the wet mixture slowly and gently.
7. Place muffin mixture in greased muffin tray (should make around 12.) Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown and risen. Place on wire rack to cool and sprinkle with icing sugar.